sheepish--knitting blog

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

back in the saddle

the sock that was nearly my undoingafter some advice from amber and a pep talk from cara where she assured me i could make socks with the yarn that i had, if i could free myself from any preconceived notions i had regarding gauge and needle size, i started again. actually 2 more swatches worth and then the actual sock. i decided i liked the fabric using the size us2 needles even though i am only getting 6.5 stitches per inch. according to cara, the bright side is my socks will go faster. i am using the pattern here because it was the easiest way for me to substitute in all of my numbers. if i had had to invent my own pattern, i probably would have had a breakdown. i was sooooo close to having one anyway. you cannot even imagine how crazy this little issue was making me. so i am to the part where i pick up stitches for the gusset. i think i like these so far. i decided to spruce them up a little by using some deep purple accents. i like it on the cuff, but the heel might be a bit much. having never done a contrasting heel before, i just assumed that i would start where the heel starts. looks sort of big, though, i'm not sure. at any rate these are mainly to help me get my confidence back and triple check my gauge before beginning knee socks.

a positive side effect from my sock turmoil is that i got a good bit of my ribby sewn up. all that's left is to put the sleeves in. the finishing on this wasn't too bad. atleast not yet. i took my time and spread it all out, and even overly critical me was satisfied with the results. the upside to the socks that nearly got me committed.

so i'll soldier on with my sock today and maybe have one finished to model before the weekend. maybe evn with a zipperless ribby. that would rock.

resolutions still to come...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great! You started the contrast right where you should have and one they're on your foot, the heel won't look so big at all. It'll be great!

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home